Apr 6, 2009

This Building Feels Like Communism

So I finally figured out how to put my pictures in order on this crazy website. It required a lot of cutting and pasting...on the computer of course

So yes...I went to Dresden and Berlin the last weekend in March (I got back last Wednesday morning...at 5.30 in the AM)

But the night before I left for Dresden, I somehow got talked into going to a playoff hockey game that Slavia Praha was playing against Plzen (or...Pilsen...yes the same town that Pilsner Urquell comes from). There was talk about it earlier that week, but I did not think I was seriously going to the game...until I was asked when someone was at the ticket office and called and asked if I wanted to go. That game was INTENSE. It was tied with one second left in the game...tied through sudden death...and then Slavia Praha scored with their last guy on the ice (i think it was the son of the coach or something...i learned that a few days ago). The whole stadium erupted! There was also a fight on the ice at some point...and 2 people got thrown out of the game. And then it took like an hour to get from the stadium back to my dorm because of the massive amounts of people on the metro. So now I can say that I went to both Prague hockey teams' games. Now I feel like I need to go to an American hockey game and compare notes. But...after the game I did not get back to my room til like midnight...and had yet to pack for my long weekend...and had to wake up at like 4 to make it to the train station on time.

So...long story short...I wound up being awake for 24 hours and walked a few miles on like 2.5 hours of sleep. BUT...im getting ahead of myself at this point...

back to the story at hand...

So our trip leader showed up to the train station like a half hour late...but thats a common occurance on ISC trips (not leaders showing up late...just the group in general being late for things...a lot). Our train was a nice compartment train...and even had a dining car. My friend Caitie and I were jonesing for come coffee and food...so the 2 of us decided to visit the dining car and have breakfast. Since it was like 7ish in the morning...we were the only people there. It was nice.

We got to Dresden at about 9 in the morning and then had 3 hours of "free time." The group of people that I was with (about 9 of us just kinda gravitated toward eachother) picked a direction and started wandering around. Actually...we walked in one directions because someone said "we should go that way...it looks like there's old stuff over there." After about an hour we decided it was booze time...so we found a vegetarian restaurant and got soup and booze.

Then we met up with the rest of the group and had lunch at one of the university's dining center...which was an experience. the dumplings were in the shape of baseballs...and stuck to my fork. After that we went on a 2 hour scavenger hunt of Dresden. We learned about some of Dresden's well known sites...and had certain tasks to accomplish. One...which you see below...was to cram as many people as possible into a phone booth. we had 7...but the record apparently was 10.


yep...there are seven people in there...a contrast of old and new architecture. if I am not mistaken, Dresden was heavily damaged during World War II, so a lot of the older buildings had to be rebuilt.

That night we had kebabs which are not like American kebobs. The only thing i can think to compare them to are gyros. But in Germany I don't think that they use lamb meat in their spinning meat hunk mixture. I ordered something that was meat, french fries, tazaki (sp?) sauce, and ketchup...and it was delicious. It might not sound like that...but it definitely was. Then we went to a hookah lounge...then I somehow got mixed up with the group that went to a club...and did not get back to our hostel til 5.30 in the AM. it was a good time though...

The next day, we went to the German Hygeine Museum in Dresden. Its a lot like the Museum of Science and Industry in concept...but more health related. I had my first Latte Macchiato there...and am now currently addicted to them. They are essentially a shot of expresso with steamed or foamed millk (it might be both actually) and on occasion whipped cream...de-liciousness. After that ...we headed to a German restaurant to have a German meal...which apparently meant only soup.

and beer...my friends and i thought it would be a great idea to drink a liter of beer...
2 of the 3 liters of beer attempted by the 3 of us.

My friends Staci and Caitie finished theirs...and I tried to drink about half of it in like 10 minutes... because I was unaware that everyone was getting ready to go...and I was still eating and drinking my beer...I got about 3/4 of the way through...and then had to give the rest away...because my body could not hold any more liquid....I felt defeated. Then we wandered around a different part of dresden for a few hours, and then Staci, 2 other friends, and I got on our train to head to Berlin!

Interesting facade in a small courtyard in Dresden
Welcome to Berlin!!

We got to our hostel at about midnight...and then go down to the lobby and all have a beer and talk about a master plan for the town. The hostel we stayed at was actually an old brewery...and one of the nicest hostels Ive ever stayed at. The four of us had a room to ourselves and our own bathroom. And we each had our own locker so we could lock our stuff up while we were gone during the day.

Day 1 in Berlin Started with a visit to the Brandenburg Gate...which had to be partially rebuilt after the War. From what I remember...the Berlin Wall was built around it...and was pretty much in a lot by itself until the wall went down. The American Embassy is now to the left of the Gate
Me at the Brandenburg Gate...with the American Embassy being to your left.

After that, we visited the Holocaust Memorial. for more information about it...check out this website: http://www.holocaust-mahnmal.de/en/thememorial/fieldofstelae

Holocaust Memorial...its a pretty moving place...
After that...we went to Checkpoint Charlie...which I believe was one of 2 ways into the American Sector. This picture shows that you are leaving the American Sector

Checkpoint Charlie. There was a museum across the street...but Staci and I could not figure out how to get in...so we ate lunch instead.

After lunch...we went to the Jewish Museum in Berlin. It was one of the most interesting museums I had ever been to.The building was designed by Daniel Leibskind...has no right angles in the building. The museum starts with a history for Jewish people in Europe dating back to the 1000s...and then goes all the way til modern times I guess. Its a very extensive history..until about 1933...and then it more or less glosses over the next 15 years...in a slightly cynical way. One of the exhibitions that my friend Staci and I went to was about eugenics...which is a combination of the study of race and anthropology. The Nazi's tried to use eugenics to create "the perfect race"

Then...we went to dinner...we went to a restaurant in a more artsy part of Berlin...because another restaurant was recommended to us...but we could not find it.
This delicious picture was veal ragout with herb spatzle...I really wanted spatzle...and this was the only thing on the menu that included it. I was a little leery at first because I have only eaten veal a few times...and had no idea what a ragout was. BUT....I devoured the whole plate...and 2 hefeweissens...and apple strudel. AMAZING.
We saw a Dunkin Donuts in the Train Station soon after getting to Berlin and I was adamant that we would go before we left the city. And...we did...I had a double chocolate donut...with some OJ to balance out the chocolate. It was one one of the best donuts I had ever had in some time. Then...we headed to the Berlin Wall...well...what was left of it. What's left of the wall is called the East Side Gallery, and there is about 1.3 km of it left as a memorial.
This is me writing on the Berlin Wall (i wound up writing on it 4 times...this particular time...i was writing a quote that was at the end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off"
Staci and I standing my our birth year. There were several pictures of this scene...but this is the most rediculous one of me...with my leg sticking straight out.

After that...Staci and I wandered around Berlin for the next 4 hours...walked a shit ton...and visited the Pergammon museum. And then we visited the Reichstag...and then we headed to the bus..and got back to my room at 5.30 in the AM

Me in front of the Reichstag

So that brings me up to last Wednesday...sweet jeebus! I've been typing to like 2 hours.

but pushing on...

Friday...I went for Thai food...and thought that it would be a good idea to eat part of a chile....half of my tongue went numb...and I was unable to eat for like ten minutes.

Then Saturday...I went to a restaurant called Buffalo Bill...which looked like southwest America threw up on a basement restaurant. It was ok... and then I was going to go to the Obama speech sunday morning...so my friends and I thought it would be a bright idea to stay up all night so we could get to one of the gates really early. So we spent a few hours at another dorm called Strahov. It felt like communism with its interior design...or lack of it. I should have taken a picture...but was afraid to.

So we show up at the press gate at 3.45 in the AM...and there were about 8 people there before us. Around 4.30...some of our other friends showed up...but by about 5.30...people started getting antsy...so i pretty much had to stand from then til I ate lunch at like 12. It turns out that there were over 20,000 people at the speech, and i was about 5 feet from the barrier that separated the general crowd from the volunteer crowd ahead of us. I planted myself next to my french canadian friend...because I knew that he would make sure I did not die....and he's hilarious. There was a break in the crowd at some point...and I was able to see Obama for 2 seconds...but I did see him! So now I can claim that I saw Obama in Prague...

And that's more or less the end of massive highlights in my life...

Right now is tourist season in Prague...which means that its hard to get anywhere because of the massive crowds of tourists that cannot decide what it is they are looking for. Its very frustrating...because when I got here...the city did not seem very crowded.

ugh...I give up...

oh wait...im going to Krakow in a few weeks!!

so...trips coming up...Rome...then Krakow...then Paris!! Im planning on going to Vienna at some point...and possibly Greece...and maybe Spain.

now...i give up

till next time...

quote of the day... "I'm wearing taco pants today!"

1 comment:

  1. for one, you spelled ridiculous wrong.

    and for 2, I MISS MY SISTER!!!!

    ReplyDelete